Thursday, February 15, 2007

Mr. Edward Albee




Edward Albee is one of my favorite writers. Why? He takes chances. He's not afraid to go there. And if someone doesn't like his plays--so what? He's unapologetic.

I've seen him give a talk in Chicago a few years back. He's cocky, smart, and wickedly funny. He's also 79 and still writing great plays. Pretty impressive. I found some quotes (and advice) that I thought you may appreciate.


His thoughts on audience:

"I want them to start thinking about whether the stuff they think they believe is really what they believe. To reconsider their values. In The Goat, I want an audience to go there and not make value judgments about the lives of the characters, about what goat-fucking really means. I want them to imagine themselves being the characters in that situation. I don't want anybody to go into a play of mine and come out exactly the same person."


His thoughts on writing what you know (and a slam against Williams' The Glass Menagerie--which I'm sure some of you will appreciate):

"Don't write about yourself very much. . . . I'm one of the few people who think `The Glass Menagerie' would have been a better play without Tom. . . . The more you invent, the more freedom you have to get to the truths you're after."



His thoughts on why he writes:

"I write to find out what's going on in my head. I always have ideas for plays. They come into focus, and I write them down, and I know why I wrote them down. I usually have three or four plays swimming around in my head somewhere. I'm writing one right now, not this instant we're talking, but these days, and I have two others that are lined up, like aircraft waiting to get clearance to land, that are waiting to be written down. I don't examine the process terribly carefully, because I think it's dangerous to. As James Thurber said, let your mind alone. It knows what it's doing."

No comments: